Tuesday, October 9, 2012

VOSS

Writing about McQueen in the previous post made me think of his spring/summer 2001 collection for his own line entitled VOSS. Here, he had models sporting his breathtaking garments walking in a glass box that was lit from the inside so that the audience could see them but not the contrary. In the middle of the box sat another, this one's panes were dirty and translucent. Towards the end of the show, a light lit up inside the second box as each side fell and shattered on the floor. The turmoil revealed a naked woman laying on a chaise lounge breathing through a gas mask, her face covered by a mask as well as hundreds of moths that were flying about.


For those who are a little on the impatient side, skip ahead to about nine minutes into the video to see what I'm talking about. 

In my eyes, this tableau was disturbing. It made me feel genuinely afraid but that's what I love about it. Anything that can directly evoke that kind of raw emotion has to be something truly amazing. I love how so many questions pop in your head when you're watching it, even if the question is: "What the f**k?".  I adore the drama and the theatricality; it is so brilliantly and beautifully thought out. This is taking fashion and art to the next level. It makes people think and feel which is something that I believe is being lost in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment